4.04.2011

under the big top


I love it when books have pages like these.



I just read the last words of Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and I am ready to start in on the first few again. This is a story worth reading. It's the classic good versus evil with a little bit of whimsy, camaraderie, and romance throughout. I could not put it down!

I thought about reading it awhile back when I saw it on a friend's coffee table. The title and cover intrigued me, but my abhorrence for the circus deterred me from reading the book. Then the movie trailer came out and I was captivated by it once again and requested the story from the library.

The tale that Gruen weaves is nothing short of beautiful. Of course there is the love story, but it's the loyalty and love that a few of the characters have for their animal friends and the longing for good to overcome evil that had me reading long into the night. There are a few scenes that are gruesome and a few that are graphic, so those of you that are faint at heart or want to preserve some innocence may want to skip it.  

However, the real facts and history of the old time circus found within the pages are fascinating and have me planning a trip to the Sarasota Ringling Museum. The sweet rapport between a circus clown and his dog, 12 magnificent horses and their rider, and a young vet and his elephant is enough for this animal lover to call this book a favorite. Then add in some unlikely friendships and a damsel in distress and you've got a darn good story. 

You won't ever find me in line for a show when the circus rolls through town. I cannot condone a show that causes big cats and elephants to be enclosed in tight quarters for the sake of entertainment, and I think this book showcases my point. But I do so love this story and it endears me toward those who love these animals while out on the road.

Check out the movie trailer!

1 comment:

The Hutton Family said...

going to request it now! Thanks for the recommendation!