12.24.2010

favorite Christmas stories


I said I would post about some of my favorite reads from this past year a few weeks ago and I haven't been able to sit down and devote any time to that. So instead, I will tell you about my favorite children's books for Christmas time. The first thing you should know is that even if I weren't a teacher, I would still love children's books and collect them. So while I don't have the pleasure of hearing the pitter patters of little feet in my house yet, I still have a basket of children's Christmas books. I probably have close to 60 kids books in my Christmas tub, but only about 10 of them make it into my Christmas book basket next to the tree.

I have spent a good amount of time in Barnes and Noble every single December for the last 7 years combing the shelves and display tables for new and old Christmas books alike. Each time I go, I collect and take stacks of books to a cafe table and read them while sipping a peppermint hot chocolate. As I read, I make two piles: "Those that Didn't Make the Cut" and "Those that I'd Like to Add to My Collection". I jot those titles down or (more recently) take a picture of them with my iPhone. Then I return December 26th with a list of books that I hope to snag for half price (usually with a gift card that I received the day before).

I am fond of so many of the books that I have collected over the years, but the stories that are dearest to me are the stories that retell the nativity of Jesus. As a little girl I was captivated by Bible stories. My favorite part of the day in Elementary school was when the teacher took out these lovely picture cards that beautifully illustrated a portion of the Bible and read to us from the back of each one. Is it any wonder then that the Christmas books I love the most are beautifully illustrated stories about my most favorite person?

Here are just four of my favorites:

1. The First Christmas by Carol Heyer


This is a gorgeous book! I cannot wait to read it to my kids one day after I have read them the account from Luke. It is a straight forward account of Jesus' nativity. The words are great, but I seriously cannot get enough of the illustrations. No frills. Simply perfect.



This book is written by one of my favorite Children's book duos. It is one of the cutest and most endearing stories. Mortimer takes over Jesus' nativity scene each night, kicking Jesus out of the stable each time. Until one night when he overhears the family in the home talking about who Jesus is and realizes his error. 



Humphrey is a self-absorbed camel who complains about losing his blanket and carrying such a heavy load along this long journey that his master is forcing him to go on. His tune quickly changes the moment he lays eyes on a tiny baby in a manger.


I think the illustrations in this book are beautiful. This story is written in a style similar to "The House that Jack Built." I love the flow of the lyrical prose. I think this book may be one that the kids ask to hear over and over again. I have been bold enough to read it in the public school classroom and my students have always asked to hear this one again.

Happy reading and Merry Christmas Eve! 

No comments: