Growing up my family didn’t have a lot, but they never let me go without. They sacrificed financially so that I could go to private school throughout my elementary school years and those years shaped who I am today. My mom was the room mom every single year. I cannot recall a single class party, event or field trip that she did not attend. Her famous iced refrigerator cookies became popular in the small elementary school I attended, and teachers and families alike ordered them from her all the time. I remember being so proud whenever my mom walked through the classroom door with a big platter full of them for a party. She has a talent for baking and I’ll never forget the year she made me my favorite birthday cake. The cake itself was the dress for a Barbie doll. The doll stood tall and had a big, full dress which was comprised of my mom’s chocolate cake and homemade icing. She took me to piano lessons, violin lessons and voice lessons and attended the recitals. She is teased by myself and my sisters for crying whenever we leave home for church camp, vacations, missions trips, and don’t even get me started on when I left for college after every single break or long weekend. Nearly a decade ago she did something for herself for a change and started eating well and working out. She ended up losing 65 pounds and could take on most anybody today with her strength and muscle because she works so hard in the gym. Years ago I realized my mom had a hidden talent. She is a very eloquent writer and is very good at penning her words. One of these days I'm going to have to crash one of her poetry nights at Starbucks to see her in action. 6 years ago she did one of the most meaningful things for me to date. I spent a month in the hospital and she stayed by my side the entire time. She never left the hospital. She slept on the chair that pulls out into a bed every single night! I was 22 at the time and was technically an adult, but no matter how old you get the hospital is a scary place and if anyone could have it their way they would have their mom with them to comfort them too. I love her and appreciate all that she has done for me, probably more than she realizes. Today is her birthday! Happy birthday, Mom!
![]() |
| My mom and I in my hospital room in October of 2004 |



No comments:
Post a Comment