*Warning: Some of the fashion statements you will see in the pictures below will leave you extremely inspired and may leave you in a state of wonder. I wish I could direct you to the amazing clothing store, Spiral, circa 1992, but they are no longer.
Today marks a special occasion. Today my B.F.F. from elementary school to now celebrates her birthday. Adri will do it in Chicago with friends and her hubby, and I will do it in South Florida by reflecting on how wonderful she is and what a blessing her life has been to mine. I love her! There is no one in the world who knows my history like she does and that is something just so darn special! It all began with some drama in the 4th Grade. Her best friend and my best {fair-weather} friend conspired against us and we had to come together. The rest is history. Adri and her family dubbed me Shaebae way back when we were 10 and it's always been one of my favorite terms of endearment. That's where Shaebae in the URL of this blog comes from.
We've been through it all together. Hurricane Andrew...I'll never forget being worried about each other. The power was out for weeks and many streets were impassable. I remember being so relieved when I saw her across a field near her home when my mother and I went searching for her and her family. She came running across the field on roller skates. The things we remember! That year we both lived in trailers on our front lawns and went to school in trailers as our homes and our city were being rebuilt. Crazy, but good times. That was the year our friendship really grew and blossomed.
Hurricane Andrew may have been a natural disaster that went down in the record books, but I am convinced it had nothing on the boys we survived. Survived! Oh, the dramas! We went through our first crushes, first dates, first loves, first heart aches, and first heart breaks together. And then some. We giggled, we cried, we argued, we consoled, and we advised throughout the years when it came to the opposite sex. No one. NO ONE knows the corny love songs we would swoon to or the way we
Aside from hurricanes and boy drama, we have been through some seriously tough health problems and heart issues together, too. We have spent hours upon hours on the phone since 4th Grade and hours upon hours writing each other notes and cards and emails since then too. Then there are all the hours spent in coffee shops and late night conversations at the gazillion sleep-overs throughout the years. We have been there for each other as we relay some of the ugliness we find in our own hearts and lives and we have helped each other find the beauty in it, in us. It is such a blessing to have a friend who truly shares in your hurts and in your triumphs and joy. And it's safe to say that we have shared many a tear for the other in such circumstances.
I am pretty certain that no two friends have watched Ace Ventura more than we have. There's nothing like going to the Youth Fair and riding on all the rides screaming silly inside jokes at the top of your lungs with your B.F.F. There is nothing like getting a note passed in class to you with the pretty penmanship and trademark flower on it from her. And there is nothing like the memories of getting ready for my wedding day with her by my side or watching her laugh on hers. There are few people in the world you can be totally yourself with -- the good, the real, the honest, the ugly, the goofy -- and I am so glad I've got someone to be all those things with.
Happy Birthday, Adri! May this year be one of the very best yet! I miss you bunches and I love you oodles!




No comments:
Post a Comment