When I was a little girl I had a bedtime routine. Every night I would get in bed. My mom and I would read a Bible story and then we would pray. My prayers were consistent. I always prayed for a little sister. One day my mom said we had to pick up some cupcakes from Publix to celebrate, but she wouldn’t tell me what we were celebrating until my dad got home. We were sitting in our teeny tiny kitchen and I was bursting at the seams with excitement. WHAT WERE WE CELEBRATING!? Then my mom said the words I had been longing to hear…”You’re going to be a big sister!”
Kellie arrived July 31, 1989 and I could not have been more excited about it! I prepared for her arrival right along with my parents. They went to birthing classes and I went to big sister class 101, where the nurses at the hospital taught me how to swaddle, feed, change, and hold babies. She and I are 8 years apart. We were never really the age where we could play together, but I was happy to care for her and just be with her. As she got older I, I took joy in
I left home at 18 to go to college. Kellie was 10 and it was sad to not be able to see her grow up. She did homeschooling which was great because it allowed her to come up and spend time with me several weeks at a time while I lived 4 1/2 hours away. We had a great time whenever she came up and I will never forget some of the memories we made. {Or how painfully thin I was when we made them.}
Pretty sure this picture was my idea, but Kellie is a good sport and she humored me.
Kellie was the first person I talked to about Andrew and I. In fact, I woke her up at 2 am to tell her all about his confession of love for me. And she recalled the story when she gave a speech at our wedding, something that I was so proud of her and honored by her for doing.
She is my sister and my best friend. A sounding board where I can go to and talk without receiving judgment, maybe a strange look, but never judgment. She is always honest, but never harsh. I treasure her more than she knows.
Kellie is the kindest person I have ever met. She is always putting others first. There have been many a moment when I have thought of her and looked up to her even though I am the older one. She loves the Lord deeply and she serves Him well. She has traveled the world on mission trip after mission trip. She is quiet and reserved and I am loud and
{This picture pretty much sums it all up.}
I am late in posting this because we were in the Keys celebrating yesterday. Kellie, I hope you felt loved and celebrated. Happiest of birthdays to you! May this year be one of the very best years yet! I love you!
1 comment:
Thank you so much Shannon! That was so sweet :) You are the best big sister a girl could ever ask for and am so thankful for you! I love you tons! Thanks for everything :)
Post a Comment