My friend Jenny is someone I miss spending time with greatly. We went to UCF together, but after graduation she moved to another state and though we've kept in touch it has been years since we have been able to sit down in a coffee shop together. The reason I bring Jenny up now is because of a particular question she always asked me. It always came after we were settled in our chairs with our warm cups in hand. She would look at me and say, "So, what's God been teaching you lately?" I miss questions and conversations like that.
If Jenny were here I'd tell her this...
There are days when I take the time to sit at His feet, listen, reflect, and process in order to apply. There have been far too many days when I have chosen other things instead. The days in which I have chosen to learn, God has been faithful to reveal Himself to me, and I am grateful He hasn't held my frivolity and faithlessness against me.
For months I have felt the tug and gentle whisper on my heart to focus a good deal of my time on the study of prayer and the study of words. I finally began those journeys this week. I read A Praying Life by Paul Miller about a year ago, but I read it quickly. I decided to re-read it and really camp out among the pages to hear what God has to say and to reveal about my approach to Him in prayer.
As far as words go...I think I am careless with them. I think I talk too much and often too soon. I think I say things without thinking. I won a print from Naptime Diaries awhile ago and I chose the print with Proverbs 15:4 for a reason...I need the reminder. I am going to spend some time learning more about what He has to say about the power of words, reflect on my own, and I am going to do my best to apply what I learn. My mannual will be God's Word and my guide and teacher will be the Holy Spirit. This lesson is going to hurt. To be perfectly honest, it scares me.
Nothing huge. No major revelations or profound thoughts. Just pursuing things that I know I ought to.
Jenny, I miss you and I wish I could process some of this with you over a cup of joe!
Nothing huge. No major revelations or profound thoughts. Just pursuing things that I know I ought to.
Jenny, I miss you and I wish I could process some of this with you over a cup of joe!
1 comment:
Oh my goodness - tears and it's not even 10:00AM! I miss our talks and sitting face to face, too.
I have really enjoyed catching a glimpse of what you're learning and occupied with through your blog - definitely keep sharing! God has given you a gift of sincerity and a hunger for truth, and it's contagious and inspiring, and we need to continue to be exposed to it!
Love you!
Post a Comment