11.30.2010

to read a book for the first time

is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one.  -Chinese Saying


As 2010 comes to a close, I have been thinking about all the books I have read this year and I am reflecting on them. Some I have to ask myself, “What were you thinking? That was a waste of time!” While others I treasured and wish to read again.

I love books that can speak to me and that I can connect with. I don’t read just for the sake of reading or entertaining my mind. I read because I want to learn more about something I find fascinating. Or I read because I want emotions to be stirred up within me or because I want to find common ground with the characters in the story. I love reading so much that I tend to create attachments to the stories and characters in my favorite books so much that the thought of only reading them once would be likened to meeting an intriguing person, whom you connect with and could see yourself being great friends with, but who you only meet for one conversation and then you never pursue the friendship. That wouldn’t make any sense at all.

My favorite books are dear to me because they have made me feel something, inspired me, brought me great joy, allowed me to live vicariously through another person’s wonderful adventure, taught me about myself, others or the world around me and/or have allowed me to gain new perspective and insight.

I want to blog about books since I love them so much. However, I fear blogging about my favorites will bring about judgment and snickers from much more intellectual readers. You see, I don’t consider myself a literary. I just love reading. I’ve tried reading some of the greats. Some of the classics, and quite frankly, I don’t “get” some of them and others I can’t read without thumbing through the dictionary every few paragraphs (which is laborious when you don’t have the luxury of the iBooks features on the iPad, and sadly I do not). I know I am no scholar, though I would love to be, so forgive me if you’ve read thus far and think that I am going to wow you with my book choices and reviews. That will not happen. But if you love reading like I do and for similar reasons then we could be great book friends.

I’ll come back soon and blog about one of my favorites from this year’s reading list.

In the mean time I will leave you with a great quote that sums up exactly how I feel when I have just finished reading a book that has become one of my favorites.

"You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." -Paul Sweeney

Can you relate to not wanting to finish a book because it is so good?

** I found the image above at ApartmentTherapy.com and have always wanted to use it for something! So glad I could finally share it!

2 comments:

The Hutton Family said...

HARRY POTTER! Wish I could read it again for the first time! Stepping Heavenward is amazing too, and it has applied to every part of my life. I would love to hear your favorites of the year. Hope y'all make it to Tampa soon! Stop by if you get a chance!

yourstruly said...

I feel the same way about Harry Potter as you do. I can't wait to read Stepping Heavenward. It sounds like a book I would love. I found it on thriftbooks.com and I'm going to get it after I recover from all the holiday hustle and bustle and spending! ;)