Happy Thanksgiving!
As we prepare for tonight's feast I have been really trying to think about what I am thankful for in my life. Several years ago I began a Thanksgiving Journal. In this journal, I record one liners of the things I am thankful for before drifting off to sleep. I have noticed that the most content seasons of my life have been when I am the most consistent at counting my blessings on the pages of this journal. Some of the lines in that journal read silly things like, "laughing with a dear friend until my cheeks and belly hurt". While others are much more serious like, "the Lord gave me Psalm 25 just when I thought my heart would break from lack of hope".
I know today means different things for different people. I know some people loathe this holiday for the fact that it really was born during a time of fear and uncertainty and marked the end to life as some people knew it way back in Plimoth in the 1600s. Regardless of how you feel about this day, one thing is certain for all of us...a spirit of Thanksgiving and Gratitude should be one we carry throughout life, day in and day out.
So today here are the things that are at the top of my Gratitude list that you can find on the pages of my journal:
- I am married to a guy who is awesome and loves me even though I am not always so lovable.
- I have been blessed, encouraged, and supported by that same man to take this year off from teaching, to remember why I loved it in the first place, while I substitute teach and focus my time and energy on our home, my health, and my relationships.
- I have amazing friends stretching from San Francisco to New York City whom I cherish and wish all lived on the same block.
- I have a great family, my family and my wonderful in-laws(who I am missing SO MUCH today).
- I have been part of BSF --Bible Study Fellowship-- every Wednesday morning for the last 11 weeks and it has been one of the best experiences of my life to study Isaiah so deeply with such beautiful, godly women!
I hope you take some time this day and this weekend to reflect on what you are thankful for in your life as well.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." -Eric Hoffer

No comments:
Post a Comment