11.24.2010

since Thanksgiving is tomorrow

I better post the pictures and blog what I've wanted to since Halloween.

About a month ago now I did something I've always wanted to do! I toasted the pumpkin seeds from our carved jack-o-lantern and doing both were SO MUCH FUN!

Here's what you need:

Ingredients:
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, rinsed and dried
6 tablespoons white sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

*I used the seeds from our pumpkin, but you can use store bought pre-packaged seeds.

The hubby and I opened up that pumpkin and used an ice cream scoop to get all of the flesh and seeds out.



We filled the sink with a little water and dumped the flesh and seeds in. The seeds float right up to the top.




Allow seeds to dry a bit. Then spread them on a cookie sheet and bake them at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until dry and roasted.



In a large bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of white sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.



Heat the oil in a large skillet (or in a large wok, since that's what we had handy) over medium-high heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and sprinkle the remaining sugar over them. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts, about 45 seconds.



Pour seeds into the bowl with the spiced sugar and stir until coated. Allow to cool before serving.


 
Then eat and share with friends until your heart's content.

I had to post pictures of Trinity checking out the pumpkin Andrew carved in honor of her "halloween" cat pose. She approved.





* I got the pumpkin seed recipe from All Recipes

No comments: