2.26.2011

date night


My heart really goes pitter patter when Andrew says the words, "You wanna go to Barnes and Noble tonight?" I could live there. I have day dreams of getting locked in after closing time and the shelves upon shelves of books would be mine for the whole night! So when the Mister wants to go on a date and take me to that page filled haven I can't get in the car fast enough.

When I was in college and studying Children's Literature I spent many a night sitting in a bookstore reading Children's books to review them for class at times, but mostly just to enjoy them. It became a habit and now I cannot walk into a book store without having a stack of children's books in my arms within 10 minutes. Whether you are a teacher or not, whether you have kids or not, children's books are something to be read often. They are chock full of wisdom, real life, some of the best humor, ridiculously silly characters, gorgeous artwork, and endearing-tug-at-your-heartstrings moments. 

So our Barnes and Noble dates always include a hefty stack of kid's books and some other books I am interested in checking out or reading. Last night I went with the intention of discovering a new children's book I would fall in love with and checking out Tim Keller's new book, King's Cross. I was successful.

Our community group at church is studying the book of Mark through a study by Tim Keller so the timing of his new release couldn't be more perfect! This book is going to be really good. I am looking forward to digging into it.

My children's book discovery, A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C.Stead is a downright gem! The illustrations are done by Erin E. Stead and won her the 2011 Caldecot Medal. (I love husband and wife teams.) You should go to Amazon and check out the preview of this book. It is precious! If you have a child in your life, this would be a great gift. But if you don't you could always place it on your bookshelf or coffee table. I am going to do both!


No comments: