We tried for several months and panic was beginning to set in. I am 30. I had this constant tape playing in my head of people saying over the last few years, “well, don’t wait too long. It won’t get easier to get pregnant and be pregnant with age. Plus, the older you are the more risk is involved.” We were nearing the time frame in which you are supposed to go see the doc and have the trying-hasn’t-worked-so-should-we-be-worried conversation.
I let two dear friends know the last week we were in Miami how much the what-if thoughts had consumed me. They spoke words of wisdom and encouragement and they fell on my worried heart like salve. They prayed with me and for me before we parted ways and I got in my car feeling so much more at peace than when I had first arrived at the coffee shop.
Just a few short weeks later, Andrew and I found ourselves in the midst of painting and unpacking in the new house. The time had come when we would learn if this month was the month we had been hoping for and I was nervous and excited. Now, you should know that my husband is not a fan of spending money. The month before he had cut me off from the digital pregnancy test. I was taking one or two a month and he let me know that he could not afford my habit. So to the dollar store we went to pick up a test or two. I would take the dollar store test first and if that one read positive I would take the digital test too to confirm the positive reading.
They say the best time to take a test is in the morning because you’ll get the most accurate results the earlier you are in your pregnancy. The night before I set everything up so that I’d be ready to go first thing in the morning. Then I went to bed. And woke up every hour on the hour it seemed because I was so excited and could not stand the waiting. Finally, I looked at the clock and it was 6am. I shot out of bed {a rare occasion to be sure} and ran for the bathroom. First up, the dollar store test. I thought I had a dud. The whole oval turned pink at first and just as I began cursing the cheap product, the two lines appeared. And I started shaking. I got out the digital test which had let me down so many times before and laid it flat on the counter, fully anticipating to have to wait the agonizing 3 minutes it usually took to tell me that I am not pregnant. Not this time. That little screen took no time to “think” this time. Pregnant. In seconds.
I quickly ran to Andrew and yelled for him to wake up! This startled him, you know, since he’d been fast asleep, and he had panic written all over his face, but then he focused in on mine. And he knew what I had been up to because of the smile I wore. He rushed into the bathroom to see the results for himself. And we shared these big grins with looks of wonder for a few seconds and hugged for a few minutes.
We went back to bed and Andrew prayed for us and for the life we had created. We talked and tried to process what had just happened and what life was going to look like in the next few months and years. It was one of the best mornings of my life and I will treasure it forever. All of that hope and anticipation in the previous months culminating to this morning of excitement and tender, quiet moments. What a gift! And I got to share it with my best friend.
P.S. If you missed our official announcement yesterday you can see it here.
1 comment:
I love it! I can completely relate as this sounds so much like when we first found out we were pregnant. I am so happy that you had that special moment - the first of MANY more to come!
Post a Comment